Lerwick, Shetland Islands Climate & Temperature
- Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Uk is at 60°8'N, 1°10'W, 82 m (269 ft). See map.
- Lerwick, Shetland Islands has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- The mean annual temperature is 6.9 degrees Celsius (44.4 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 8.7 °C (15.7°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype barely hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 5.5°C (41.8°F) on average falling to 1.4°C (34.5°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 7.9°C (46.2°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 3.2°C (37.7°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 13.4°C (56.2°F) and average low temperatures are 8.7°C (47.7°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 9.9°C (49.8°F) during the day and lows of 5.8°C (42.4°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1209 mm (47.6 inches) which is equivalent to 1209 Litres/m² (29.65 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1082 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Lerwick, Shetland Islands you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Macquarie Island, Australia where you would find a Tundra climate.
Lerwick, Shetland Islands Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Lerwick, Shetland Islands Climate Graph in Metric Units
Lerwick, Shetland Islands Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Uk Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Mykines Fyr, Faroe Islands - 411.4 kms (255.6 miles) NW
- Hoyvík/ Tórshavn, Faroe Islands - 365.8 kms (227.3 miles) NW
- Torshavn, Denmark - 365.8 kms (227.3 miles) NW
- Lerwick, Uk - 1.6 kms (1 miles) SW
- Orkney Islands, Uk - 165.4 kms (102.8 miles) SW
- Stornoway, Outer Hebridies, Uk - 363.9 kms (226.1 miles) SW
- Kinloss, Uk - 310.6 kms (193 miles) SSW
- Aberdeen, Scotland, Uk - 335.2 kms (208.3 miles) S
- Dalwhinnie, Scotland, Uk - 399.4 kms (248.2 miles) SSW
- Tiree, Uk - 525.1 kms (326.3 miles) SW
- Edinburgh, Scotland, Uk - 479.7 kms (298.1 miles) SSW
- Glasgow, Scotland, Uk - 512.8 kms (318.7 miles) SSW
- Kråkenes, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway - 391.1 kms (243 miles) NE
- Fannaråki/ Fanaråken, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway - 513.8 kms (319.3 miles) ENE
- Lærdal, Western Norway, Norway - 484.3 kms (301 miles) ENE
- Geilo, Norway - 517.6 kms (321.6 miles) E
- Bergen, Norway - 358.4 kms (222.7 miles) E
- Bergen - Florida, Norway - 359.3 kms (223.3 miles) E
- Dalen, Telemark, Norway - 518.2 kms (322 miles) E
- Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway - 408.5 kms (253.9 miles) ESE